Grace A.M.E Church was organized in 1868. The church edifice was built and dedicated in 1878, under the leadership of the Rev. William Styles. During the years prior to the dedication, services were held in the local school house. For many years, Grace A.M.E. Church was part of the Bordentown Circuit. When the Bordentown Church became self supporting, Grace Church then became a part of the Allentown-Cookstown Circuit. The church is located on the original site on the main road leading from Crosswicks to Chesterfield.
The parsonage originally was located on Main Street. In 1916, Ms. Hannah DeCou purchased the building, had an addition built and then paid to have it moved to its present site next to the church. Twenty-two men have served as ministers leading to today’s minister, Reverend Maurice D. Barnes. The Rev. A.D. Brown served from 1933-1945 which represents the longest pastorage. In 1947, a building fund to modernize the church was started by Rev. Alonzo Henly. Rev. Arthur Gibson saw to it that the modernization was accomplished. The modernization program led to the installment of stained glass windows, memorials devoted to members, an addition to the original building, modern rest rooms and an oil furnace.
In 1960, under the leadership of the congregation and friends, the parsonage was renovated and an oil furnace was installed. Grace A.M.E Church is a member of the New Jersey Annual Conference, which is a part of the First Episcopal District of the great African Methodist Episcopal Church whose motto is: “God Our Father, Christ Our Redeemer and Man Our Brother.” -Rev. Howard D. Garcia.
At every level of the connection and in every local church, the AME Church shall engage in carrying out the spirit of the original Free African Society, out of which the AME Church evolved.
That is, our vision is to seek out and save the lost, and to serve the needy. It is also the duty of the Church to continue to encourage all members to become involved in all aspects of church training.